Proposed Bylaw Amendments
Dear NHIMA Members,
During review of the Bylaws in the 2018-2019 year, it was noted that the Bylaws required updates. The AHIMA House of Delegates adopted new Bylaws that strategically align with best practices and comply with corporate, federal, and state law.
The proposed changes will align NHIMA Bylaws with AHIMA bylaws and update to current NHIMA practices. The draft was submitted for review to AHIMA and returned with approval on April 2019. The final draft of the Bylaws was submitted and reviewed by the Board of Directors on August 9, 2019.
The proposed Bylaws were posted on the Nebraska Engage on the AHIMA website as of May 15, 2020 and a discussion thread was started to facilitate questions and comments regarding the revisions. Click on this link to access the Nebraska Engage Community.
The following includes a brief rationale of the proposed revisions made to the bylaws. For full details, please refer to the CSA Bylaws Amendment Form and the NHIMA draft Bylaws.
- NHIMA Office – updated to reflect Central Office is located within Nebraska
- Mission/Vision – updated to reflect AHIMA’s new mission and vision
- Member definitions – updated to align with AHIMA Bylaws
- Election and tie breaker – if there is a tie during election, the addition of the lot process is added
- Resignation and Removal – specified the process
- Waiver of notice – specified the notice is given to the Secretary
- Manner of voting – specified process of Board vote
- Officer Duties – specified roles
- Student Representative – added this position to the Bylaws
- AHIMA House of Delegates – added per requirement of AHIMA to specify role in House of Delegates
- Nominating Committee – specifies term of the committee
- Adoption of Amendments – added amendment that vote can occur electronically or a meeting
NHIMA Active members may vote electronically on the proposed Bylaws Revisions between June 15, 2020 and June 30, 2020. Watch for an email blast from NHIMA on 6/15/2020 for the link and cast your vote on the proposed changes.