1. What is your first and last name, current title/role, and credentials?
Mindi Husman, RHIA – Auditor
2. What has surprised you about being the HIM profession?
The complexity of it all!
3. What do you like best about being an HIM professional?
You are guaranteed to learn something new everyday
4. What have you found to be the most challenging experiences you have had as an HIM professional so far?
The preparation for ICD-10 and the years of extensions
5. If you could change one thing about the HIM profession, what would it be?
More awareness to the opportunities available within the HIM arena.
6. Has anyone influenced your decision to become an HIM professional or to change roles within the HIM profession? If so, who and what did they say or do to influence you?
Jen Anderson and Mary Meysenburg for taking the chance on hiring me as Team Leader for Coding in 2010. This was the start of my career.
7. What is an element of being an HIM professional you wish more people understood?
It’s not simple and there aren’t a lot of black and white rules. There is a lot of grey area that is left up to interpretation; strong policies and procedures should be in place.
8. What do you think will change about the HIM profession over the next five to ten years? Why?
The security requirements will be increasing with the “mobile” world we are in today. I also believe reimbursement for services will also be changing and focusing more with quality rather than expected fees.
9. What would you tell someone who is thinking about becoming an HIM professional?
There are a lot of avenues within the HIM arena so it’s easy to find something that fits you the best. For example, if you like puzzles coding is a great area to work!