1. What is your first and last name, current title/role, and credentials?
Jessica Fiorelli Medical Records Coder CCS, CCS-P
2. What has surprised you about being the HIM profession?
How quickly the profession has grown and changed.
3. What do you like best about being an HIM professional?
It’s always challenging and I find myself always learning
4. What have you found to be the most challenging experiences you have had as an HIM professional so far?
Ensuring that records and documenation are complete and the process of implementing an EHR.
5. If you could change one thing about the HIM profession, what would it be?
6. Has anyone influenced your decision to become an HIM professional or to change roles within the HIM profession? If so, who and what did they say or do to influence you?
Yes my former instructors Joni Schlatz, Pam Koch and Shawna Stump at CCC-Hastings. I was a student in the Business Technology Program and was going to school for a medical office degree. My advisor Joni Schlatz suggested I take a healthcare reimbursement class with Pam Koch that included coding. I enjoyed Pam’s class, especially coding. Pam, Joni and Shawna were very encouraging for me to pursue a career in HIM.
7. What is an element of being an HIM professional you wish more people understood?
How important it is for information to be detailed.
8. What do you think will change about the HIM profession over the next five to ten years? Why?
I think technology will become an even bigger part of the profession.
9. What would you tell someone who is thinking about becoming an HIM professional?
I would tell them that it is a fast growing professional with a lot of different job opportunities and to receive as much education in the field as you can.
10. Is there any additional information you would like to share with us?
I am currently attending CCC-Hastings again to receive my Associate’s Degree in Health Information Management with a goal to obtain the RHIT credential.