NHIMA is a professional healthcare organization of approximately 500 members affiliated with the field of Health Information Management (HIM).
The majority of members have certification as:
- Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA)
- Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT)
- Certified Coding Specialist (CCS)
- Certified Coding Specialist – Physician-based (CCS-P)
- Certified Coding Associate (CCA)
- Certified in Healthcare Privacy and Security (CHPS)
- Certified Health Data Analyst (CHDA)
- Certified Documentation Improvement Practitioner (CDIP)
- Certified Professional in Health Informatics (CPHI)
NHIMA is a component state association of the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA). The association is governed by a voluntary elected Board. Several committees and task forces assist the Board.